Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Toe Trauma...Tooth Trauma...The World of Trauma

Alright. I broke my toe once. I dropped a table on it - it's a long-ish story so I'll leave it at that. I went to the doctor and they referred to what happened to my toe as "Toe Trauma". Okay, so that's not weird at all.
Well, I had a root canal done on Thursday following the check-up with a dentist. The root canal went fine, I'm pretty sure it's all taken care of now except that they still have some prettying up to do for it. Other than that, done with. The pain before hand was worse than the procedure - the root canal itself didn't hurt at all. But low and behold, not two days after I had that done, problematic things (I give no details...yet...) began happening with another tooth. Top right, the tooth next to the right front one. Yeah, right there smack-dab in the middle of my smile.
No pictures now for a while because what happened was I got this lump on my gum above the tooth, swollen and ugly (blech, I know, I'm sorry, that's why I was planning on not giving details). We went to the dentist wondering if it had something to do with the root canal.
Good news: it was a completely unrelated matter.
Bad news: it was a completely unrelated matter.
What on Earth are the chances of having two major problems within your mouth in the span of a single week? I mean seriously here...
So anyways, turns out I had an infection in my tooth...because the tooth had suffered some sort of "trauma". There's that word again. Trauma. Toe trauma, now tooth trauma...I have this feeling that dentists and doctors - people in the medical world in general - really use that word a lot. For lots of things.
There. That's the relations between the story of my toe and now the story of my teeth.
As a conclusion then, the dentist used a fricking scalpel in my mouth (after the freezing, yes. Duh.). I didn't feel it, but as I was pretending to trick myself into thinking that I wasn't actually seeing what utensils they were using right in front of my face, I see this hand pick up this scalpel. I know what a scalpel looks like, okay? I've seen enough TV for that. Freaked me out. That's when I started to feel slightly frightened. I was fine up until that point.
And then she uses this scalpel within my pie hole up by my gum somewhere, and there was blood on the thumb of her glove afterwards.
Yeah, I couldn't trick myself into thinking that I hadn't seen that happening right in front of my face either.
So then my frightened feeling increased a bit and she did some drilling up into my traumatized tooth and she put some sort of product up where she drilled to help heal the infection and then she closed up the hole in my tooth so that there is now this spot on said tooth that consists of two different coloured flecks: one black and one white. The rest of the tooth is a grey-tinged white colour. You can't tell it's grey-tinged unless you look really close, but...anyways.
No pictures for a while. Not until this dentist does some beautifying on there. Yipee. I can be self-conscious about my smile for however long...

And voilĂ ! This sums up the reason for a previous facebook post of mine:
"I feel like Aragorn and the ghost army stormed into the battle of Minas Tirith, Legolas took down more than one oliphant this time, and Gimli went crazy with his hollers and counting and killing - all of this inside my mouth. That dentist did something...and it packed the LOTR deadly combo right into my teeth...at least she didn't make any mistakes. But what else would I expect from the King of Gondor, the Beautiful Prince of Mirkwood, and the sturdy, gruff-voiced dwarf we all know and love so much?"
That was about one hour after the procedure with the...scalpel. *Shivers*
The pain is gone now, hallelujah, but I have been traumatized thrice now: toe trauma, teeth trauma, and scalpel trauma. Yes. This reinforces the fact that I will not be looking into becoming a doctor, or a dentist, or a nurse, or a paramedic, or anything particularly related to the medical field.
But I have no problem whatsoever with writing gruesome and bloody scenes in a novel. That is nearly the extent of my insanity, I believe.
"Now all I need is Aragorn to use his healing powers on me - he's supposed to be a great healer anyways - with Legolas sitting nearby and singing softly looking...beautiful and serene, and Gimli...well Gimli could just be sitting around looking concerned and mumbling and grumbling."
Another quote from myself. Yes, that would be ideal, but sadly...healing with patience will have to satiate me for the time being.
"[...] A dark day! A red day! Ere the sun rise-s!!!"
That was Theoden, Kind of Rohan, leading the Rohirim and other horsemen into battle, for those of you who don't know...Yep. A bit of Lord of the Rings all-out Fan-Obsessing is just what I need to make my day go pleasantly <3

No comments:

Post a Comment